Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whole Wheat Pizza

Recently I got a packet of yeast, so I was waiting for an opportunity to make bread / pizza or something similar. But I don't really like All-purpose flour, so when I found out this Whole Wheat Pizza base recipe made from 100% whole wheat, I immediately sprung into action.

I made half the quantity and it made a decent size flatbread enough for 2 people's lunch.


I made this for lunch so I had to be quick, the trick is when the dough is resting you can make the tomato sauce and save yourself some time. Below is the recipe of the quick tomato sauce. It is nowhere close to a Marinara sauce, but tastes great and when you can have a healthy, home-made pizza for lunch, I am not complaining.

Tomato Sauce
2 tomatoes diced
3 cloves of garlic
couple of basil leaves
salt and olive oil for taste

Dice the tomatoes and add the garlic, basil, salt and olive oil and make a paste in a blender
Then transfer it to a pan and cook it till it thickens into a sauce (you can add some rice flour if the tomatoes are too watery)

Once the dough was rested, I rolled it on a cookie sheet which acted as a 'pizza stone'.

Then with the base rolled out, spread the sauce, put some mozzarella, tomatoes and basil on it and done. Just toss it in the over at 500F for 15 - 20 min and it is done.


Once this initial experiment was successful I tried out various different toppings - pesto, bell peppers and they all tasted amazing!




No comments: