Friday, August 15, 2014

Polish Latkas with Indian Zatka (kick)

I always have potatoes in my pantry, so whenever I am in mood for some experiment I turn to my trusty old potatoes. Yesterday I wanted to make a side dish with potatoes but instead of the regular potato salad, I made Latka's with Zatka (Indian version of the polish latkas with Indian spices).

Normally Latka's require eggs and other ingredients, but I updated the ingredients and the result was amazing.

Ingredients
1 potato (I had a russet, but I am sure any other kind will also work)
1/2 onion
Chilli powder
Cumin powder
Coriander powder
Salt & Pepper 
Finely chopped green chillies
1-2 tbsp of rice flour 
Olive oil - to shallow fry

Grate the potato and onion and keep them aside for 10 min. Now squeeze the mixture to remove all water. Make sure that you DO NOT throw this water away. Collect it in a little bowl.
Now add all the spices to the potato, onion mixture according to your taste. Add the rice flour till the mixture becomes dry. (do not add more than 2 tbsp, otherwise it will be flour patties)
Now check the bowl of squeezed water. Gently throw away the water and add the white starch at the bottom of the bowl back to the mixture. I think this makes the latkas extra crispy and help them bind.
Now drizzle some olive oil in a pan and place scoops of mixture on it. Press it down so that you have thin latkas. Cook on low heat and turn them around till you get a nice golden brown color.


Once cooked remove them from the pan and serve them with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt. They taste amazing!! You can eat them as a side dish or as breakfast or just about any time!




No comments: